What are age/sun spots?
Sun UV damage that appears as age/sun spots is particularly visible on the chest/décolleté area. We often protect our faces with sunscreen and hats but forget to cover or apply sunscreen to the chest area. Long standing sun damage will create areas of pigment drop out or white spots (hypo-pigmentation) as well as dark brown spots, also known as or photo aging (hyper-pigmentation). you may find that these spots fade during the winter months when you are not exposing the area to the sun, only to return again the next summer.
This type of sun damage is usually accompanied with pre-mature skin wrinkling in the cleavage. All of the suggested treatments will improve the skin tone and texture as well as lighten the age/sun spots.
(Results vary by individual patient and results cannot be guaranteed)(Before and after photos Dr. Gidon Frame)
What can be done?
- IPL Photofacial is a broad spectrum, light-based treatment which targets colour (reds and browns) in the skin. By heating the spots, with rapid flashes of light, the spots turn darker and slough-off naturally in 7-10 days.
- Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 is a fractional laser treatment which sends microscopic laser wounds into the skin. The damaged tissue pushes out over a week’s time decreasing the size of the spots over 4 or more treatments.
- Anti Aging Skin Care Products:Skin lightening products such as Lytera, SkinCeutical’s Advanced Pigment Corrector or Clarite and Active 4 from Skin Tx.
- Skinceutical Glycolic + Lactic Gel Peel
- Skinceutical Salicylic / Mandelic Peel
- SkinTx Jessner Peel and doctor recommended skincare.
- Although not aesthetically pleasing, (leaves white scars) having your doctor treat some larger spots with liquid nitrogen (Cryotherapy) is also an option.